Tuesday, June 16, 2015

How to Transfer a Design to Metal Clay



I love to carve into metal clay, especially the PMC Flex Clay. I was recently asked how I transfer a design onto the clay. Below are the steps I use when creating a carved piece.

1.  If I have a photograph of a subject, I reduce it down to lines using Photoshop or by tracing the lines using tracing paper.


2.  I adjust the drawing to the finished size for my desired piece. 
3.  Then I enlarge it, compensating for the metal clay's shrinkage. 
4.  If I am using PMC3, I add glycerine to the clay making it flexible. I prefer to use PMC Flex clay instead. 
5.  I roll the clay out to the desired thickness.
6.  I tape my drawing to the table and then insert the clay under the drawing.


7.  I trace the image onto the clay.
 

8.  I then choose the outside shape template and cut the clay's shape.
9.  I dry the clay to leather hard and then proceed to carve away or add clay as needed.

Until next time have fun claying around.




Janet Alexander
Technical Adviser






1 comment:

Marianne said...

Thank you for the tips. I want to try this. How much glycerin do you add to the clay? Is there a trick for working it in?