I love to carve into metal clay, especially the PMC Flex Clay. I was recently asked how I transfer a design onto the clay. Below are the steps I use when creating a carved piece.
1. If I have a photograph of a subject, I reduce it down to lines using Photoshop or by tracing the lines using tracing paper.
2. I adjust the drawing to the finished size for my desired piece.
3. Then I enlarge it, compensating for the metal clay's shrinkage.
4. If I am using PMC3, I add glycerine to the clay making it flexible. I prefer to use PMC Flex clay instead.
5. I roll the clay out to the desired thickness.
6. I tape my drawing to the table and then insert the clay under the drawing.
7. I trace the image onto the clay.
8. I then choose the outside shape template and cut the clay's shape.
9. I dry the clay to leather hard and then proceed to carve away or add clay as needed.
Until next time have fun claying around.