Thursday, June 11, 2015

Choice


When I want to make a specific design, I start by drawing a few rough sketches. If the design includes a stone or other added element, I'll draw the sketch around an outline of the stone. Sometimes, I'll also make decorative components in advance, so I can include them as I finalize the design. Then I start to play. I set out an array of little bits and pieces (which I refer to as my design 'palette'), and begin to rearrange the parts to see if I can create a more pleasing layout. I turn the parts this way and that way to check the balance, add things and subtract things, all in an effort to bring my piece to life.

I make a lot of little elements that I keep in a container in my tool kit. I have pre-set stones, micro molds, granulation balls, bails, hinge rods/knuckles, and other decorative details. When I find the perfect combination, I photocopy an enlargement (to account for shrinkage) and can make the metal clay base plate with confidence. I love the ability to change my mind and the design on the fly!

Which version do you like? (The one on the far right looks like a water pitcher doesn't it?)
Posted by Lora Hart
Artistic Advisor

5 comments:

Katie Hanrahan said...

Great way to design! I like the first one best. And yes, the last one does look like a water pitcher!

tamara culp said...

I sometimes design in a similar manner though I seldom have premade what I want to use but I think that's just a Murphy thing! Number 2 for me.

deniserieth said...

...Or steam rising from a cuo, or water flowing into a fountain. I like #2. IT brings your eye in and keeps it there.

Robin Lyons said...

Definitely the one on the left. Though all are beautiful the first one grabs my eye.

Lora Hart said...

Thanks for your thought girls. I'm still considering. And now that I've seen the pitcher, I'm wondering if I should do more sketches with water in mind...