Friday, September 19, 2014

Can PMC Flex be combined with PMC Sterling to make 960 Flex Sterling?


Can I make 960 with PMC Flex clay and if so is it flexible?
I measured out equal amounts of PMC Flex and PMC Sterling and mixed them together using a folding process to create 960F (F= Flex).


I then rolled the clay to the same thickness and diameter as the disks I used to test shrinkage test in my last report. I fired the disk on an open shelf in a kiln for one hour at 1500°F (1815°C). It sintered perfectly.

I then compared the three discs for shrinkage values.
The Sterling 960F is the outside left disc. Visually, they all looked to be the same size.

The measurements were:
PMC Flex 14.87mm wide and .585" thick
PMC3 15.22 mm wide and 599" thick
960F 13.07mm wide and 513" thick

 




Next, I did a bend test with the fired pieces, PMC3, PMC Flex, and Sterling 960F.

I placed each disc in a bench vise and bent it using a rawhide hammer. Each disc was annealed after bending a small amount.



All three bent the same with annealing between bending without breaking or cracking.


I tested the sterling 960F flexibility after 24 hours of air drying. It bent nearly as much as the original PMC Flex clay!

I extruded six 960F fine wires and then braided with them (photo on left). It worked well for the first eight minutes, but then the wires started breaking. So, I extruded four larger wires and braided them with beautiful results.

Until next time, have fun claying around!





 
by Janet Alexander 
Technical Adviser


12 comments:

Marilyn Davenport said...

Cannot wait to try some Flex.

Marilyn Davenport

Janet Alexander said...

I'm in love with the stuff!

Nana Louise Nielsen said...

Being able to make 960 is really good new. Thank you for sharing your findings!

Giftbearer said...

Can this new stuff be fired on a stove?
Also, how much clay does it take to make a woven bracelet?

Peaceofshine said...

Janet, Thank you so much for your PMC Flex testing. All your work saved me so much time in starting my testing with PMC Flex and 960F with the silhouette. (It has exceeded my expectations). You always seem to answer all my questions no matter what you are testing. Thanks again. Cindy Pope

Janet Alexander said...

Thank you Everyone, Cindy, thanks for continuing testing with the silhouette!It makes interesting reading! Gifbearrer, the 960 clay must be fired in a kiln at 1500F for 1 hour or more.

Your Daily Jewels - Norah Downey said...

Thank you for all of your testing! More fun for us!

KENJI said...

thanks Janet for the article. I have to give this a try. I have a question about the mixing of the clays. Do you weigh out the sterling and flex when mixing to get a 50/50 mix as the packaging of the two clays are not the same? Thanks again for your testing of these clays. Kenji

KENJI said...

Oops! Sorry Janet, I just read the article again and I saw that you do say that you weighed out the clays.

Anonymous said...

Hi, just finding your post now as I plan to make a project and think I might use PMC Flex with Sterling to make 960F. I want to do some Celtic knot work with extruded 'wires'. In your test, how thick were the 'fine' wires, and how thick were the 'large' wires? Thanks for publishing your findings. It's very useful information.
Sincerely,
Holly

Anonymous said...

Hi Janet, Has a percentage number been ascribed to 960F?
Do you know if the shrinkage is greater than the 11% of EZ960?
Thanks, Judy

Peaceofshine said...

Not Janet but I thought I would share my experience. I have found the percentage shrinkage of 960Flex to be about 15%. As always the percentage can change based on the design. I am firing my 960flex ramp at 1300 to 1600 hold 1.5 hours. :) Cindy Pope