Monday, July 21, 2014

A Picture's Worth a Thousand Imaginings

I don't sketch much. The style I have developed doesn't really lend itself to preconceived notions, but now I'm working on a project that involves bezel setting a cabochon. I've set 'things' before, but mostly photographs, shells, pebbles, and the like. This project specifies a gemstone cabochon. My first step in designing with the stone taking precedence was to look at photos of jewelry I admired and figure out what elements made the pieces successful in my mind. I noticed that most of them had details that created visual movement and gave my eye more than one set of information to take in. Meaning that the piece held my interest and invited me to discover more about it. I also looked at work that I did not react to and realized that those pieces were very one dimensional, and uninteresting to me. Now - what holds my interest is very different than what may hold yours, but this way of looking at a piece of jewelry results in a unique understanding of your preferences.


My second step was to choose a cabochon from my collection and begin to design a setting. Tracing the outline of the stone on a piece of graph paper, I drew a number of sketches around the shape. It was fun! I was suddenly coming up with a number of variations that I hadn't imagined before!

Sketching a piece before producing it can take so much of the experimental guess work out of the process. In some cases this might be a detriment - but in others - a gift.

Posted by Lora Hart
Artistic Advisor

2 comments:

Janet Alexander said...

Outstanding post Lora. You hit the nail on the head with trying to hold the viewer's interest. Thanks for that thought!

Lora Hart said...

Thanks Janet. I find myself internally dissecting fabricated jewelry lately, to try and decipher what about it is holding my interest. There's always more than one component.