Friday, February 28, 2014

I'm Back in the Saddle Again - My Silhouette ® Machine is Repaired!

For those of you who have read my problem post on the Facebook MC Silies group or use a Silhouette® machine for cutting your metal clay, this blog post may come in quite handy for you!




Many of us have slid the black rubber o-rings on the feeder bar off to the side to keep them from denting the clay. As I moved mine, one of them broke.

Without the stability of both rings, my machine started feeding the mat unevenly. Replacing the broken rubber ring would mean taking the machine apart and risking other problems. Someone suggested that I remove the ring that was left to see if the mat would then feed into the machine correctly, but I didn't want to do that.






After a bit of research, I ran across a suggestion on Facebook to use a new product that has just come out called Sugru, a self-setting rubber material. It sounded promising, so I ordered some and gave it a try.







I attached the broken rubber ring to the rod on the Silhouette® machine, then took a pea-size portion of the Sugru and kneaded it for a minute to soften it. I then applied the Sugru to the sides of the rubber ring and smoothed it using a razor blade (any flat metal tool should work).








At this point, I left it to set overnight. By morning, voila! It's fixed!
Now my machine feeds the mat in evenly and smoothly and I couldn't be happier. What an amazing new product! This fix was so simple and certainly much more cost effective than a new machine.




 

by Janet Alexander 
Technical Adviser

3 comments:

Maria said...

Great idea, Janet, thanks for the tip! Although I hope I never need to use it, LOL.

Your Daily Jewels - Norah Downey said...

Thank you for the idea. What an amazing product. My wheels are turning to find ways to put it to work to fix everything!

Janet Alexander said...

You are very welcome Norah and Maria! I'm sure there are many other uses for this compound! If you come up with some that involves making jewelry post them here!