Monday, September 16, 2013

Media Mindset

[Editor's note: As usual, Kris explains words in bold type in an earlier post.]

I am close to my brother and appreciate him to infinity and back. I share things with him that I could not share with anyone else. We are able to observe and laugh at our family's traits and characteristics. Both of us are in our 60s, and we've shared with each other our secret fears of aging.

But I can’t dwell on my fears for more than a second because of all the new information with which I have to deal. This is not information I've sought out. Rather, it has happened to me. I will recap it here, so I can try to grasp the big picture.

Here is list what I wish I could accomplish every day or two. Can anyone do all these and maintain his or her PMC artisan activity? If so, I’d like to know your secret(s).

  • Maintain my online retail shop by posting new items (after I make and photograph each), feature items, build/offer coupons, participate in site activities, follow other shops, and read site updates.
  • Maintain my online wholesale shop by posting new items (again after photographing), check on numbers of views, change New Work status and tags, read weekly emails that highlight artists and retailers, and send follow up emails to existing customers.
  • Maintain my own website which includes a gallery (photographs again) and blog, not to mention teaching schedule and my shop.
  • Maintain my facebook page with at least three posts per week, posts with lots of photos, including some personal stuff, thinking of good questions and topics in which to entertain and engage folks, posting the bi-weekly Featured Item, and Replying to Comments. Oh yes, and read others’ posts and Like, Comment, or Share.
  • Maintain my Google profile with activities similar to my fb page, make a video or two a month and post to YouTube, take a serious look at my website’s Google Analytics data, weekly. I have reports emailed to me every Monday.
  • Maintain my Yahoo presences, including most importantly my Flickr photo sharing and the Yahoo Groups such as Metal Clay and Metal Clay Gallery.
  • Reply to emails from LinkedIn, connections and endorsements, and drool over the Jewelry Design job postings.
  • Read PMC Connections Cornerstone blog and any other blogs I subscribe to, such as those of my favorite PMC artisans and, oh yes, the Social Media blog I RSS’d.
  • Point and link all social media sites to my own website, which means I need to put the content on my own site first.
  • Perform my weekly SEO Tools activities suggested by my domain host:  submitting my sitemap, checking blacklist status, refining tags and links, viewing listings, and reading SEO Tips because they constantly change.
  • Stay active on Pinterest with pinning, re-pinning, adding to albums, following, and liking
  • Continuously add to my quarterly newsletter on Mail Chimp
  • Keep on top of my Credit Card processing activities and statements such as Square (Intuit or PayPay), including reconciling my monthly statements.
  • Maintain all my unique passwords, NOT on my computer.
  • In the end, hire a social media guru to do all this for me.
Some day I might take on Twitter. I’m bewildered that I can hardly remember what we did before to market artwork. Furthermore, I am not sure that this would be useful to know. What bugs me is I constantly feel like a dinosaur, yet some folks tell me I’m not. My complaint is this requires too much time and understanding. My request for change is will someone put it all together so that the numerous identical steps become one? Also, can someone prove to me that we are better off, that this stuff works and translates to sales, service, and a better quality of life?

My brother and I constantly discuss the humankind repercussions of social media, texting, cell phones, wrist computers, and instant verbal/visual communication. The word 'communication' seems outdated as I type it. If I asked my brother “What do I do that lets you know I love you?” he might respond with, “Help with the current mindset so I can stay connected.” I would respond, “Ditto.”




by Kris A. Kramer

No comments: