|I used Easy paste solder and put several|
'beads' of it on the inside of the tube.
|By soldering the setting upside down with|
the tube on top of the disk, I allowed gravity
to work to keep the pieces in place. Holding
the flame underneath the screen drew the
solder down onto the disk and bonded
the two parts.
I removed the oval strips from the handles, and dropped them in Attack to remove the remnants of resin which had originally been used to attach the parts. After washing and drying the residue, I soldered the oval tubes to oval disks that I had originally bought to use as stations in the re-conceived chains I like to make. Two holes at the bottom of the tube would hold rivet wire for a kyanite spear bead that had been in my collection for longer than I can remember, and a piece of 20 gauge sterling soldered into a hole the in center of the disk would function as the ear wire. All in all, it took about 3 hours to fashion two pairs of really lovely earrings from materials that I had lying around the studio.
|The finished product|
When getting ready for a show, the thought of making perhaps a hundred pairs of earrings can be daunting. But if you redesign components you already have, you'll quickly create one-of-a-kind pieces that your collectors are sure to love.