Monday, March 4, 2013

Road Trip Inspiration

Posted by Lora Hart
Artistic Advisor

Recently I was lucky enough to visit the Walters Museum in Baltimore. My work is often inspired by ancient history and their collection is right up my creative alley. Although I forgot to take my little point and shoot, I made good use of the camera on my iPhone to record interesting shapes and textures that may make their way into some future work.

I was particularly intrigued with the surface and patina of this ancient torso.

The shape of this fragment also caught my eye.

And I'm pretty sure I see a bracelet trying to escape from this door handle

We all find inspiration in so many different ways. We'd love to hear how you access your muse. Leave a comment, won't you?

3 comments:

Kathy C. said...

Hi Lora,
I've been fascinated by textures lately. Several trips to the beach, and I have lots of shells whose textures are so different. I had a shell that broke, so pressed pieces into polimer to create a mosaic. Some shells have been nibbled on by what looks like some sort of wormy sea creatures. Those make such interesting textures when pressed into PMC. A couple of weeks ago I found pieces of sea oats in the sand. I haven't done anything with them yet. At Tucson this year I found a petrified sea urchin. What great textures from that! The ocean is my influence right now.

Lora Hart said...

Hi Kathy,

I love ocean textures too. Since my move to Virginia from LA, Ii'm especially missing the shells and seaweed textures I used to pick up on my sandy walks. I bet your work is wonderful. Keep up the creative inspiration!

Marlene Gremillion said...

I love texture also. I have been picking up items and making molds. I especially enjoyed making a piece from a nice shaped piece of a stick and small shell I found on a walk.