Monday, March 18, 2013

Reverse Molds and Project Preps

Posted by Lora Hart 
Artistic Advisor


My friend and colleague, Patrik Kusek, has asked me to create a sample project using his new Woodland Chic texture stamps. I don't usually use commercial texture and it took a while for me to think of a design that would compliment his graphics while remaining true to my own style.  One of my favorite pendants was a reliquary I made after a trip to Gatlinberg, Tennessee called Woodland Altar, and I thought it would be a wonderful inspiration for this piece.

I tend to like "outie" textures rather than "inny's", so I decided to make reverse molds of the designs I wanted to use. I had some two-part silicone mold material in my tool box, and it made perfect 3-D duplicates of Patrik's imagery. I was worried about the silicone sticking to the rubber stamp, but it released easily.

After making; sanding; and perfecting a number of tiny molded elements, I spent some time arranging and re-arranging them on the reliquary until I created a pattern that I liked. I still have a lot of design work to do, like figuring out an appropriate bail and deciding what to fill the niche with.

I couldn't have done it without a few of my favorite tools. I love my black rubber block. It raises the work up and helps support delicate pieces as I sand edges or carve. I found that the molded bits were a little too 'soft focus' so I used single thickness, 320 grit sandpaper along with a wonderful plastic sanding needle that I discovered at my local model train store to reinforce the details.

I'm really excited to see how this project comes out.

2 comments:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Cool idea! I was just admiring this piece in my collection last night. I'm glad you're revisiting the altars.

Janet Alexander said...

Great idea Lora, I can't wait to see the finished project!