Tuesday, August 28, 2012

“TO DO” or “NOT TO DO”

by Linda Kline
Director of Education


It’s hard to believe summer is winding down, kids are going back to school, and the usual pace and routine of the fall will soon kick in.  Summer zipped by. I always anticipate that the lazy days of summer will give me time to check some projects off my “to do” list: clean out the studio, make new gallery connections, try out some new products and techniques, etc., etc. Unfortunately, none of that happened.  

I did, however, have the pleasure of being one of several artists in residence at Pentwater Shared Space Studio on the shore of beautiful Lake Michigan. This is a marvelous facility run by progressive and liberal-thinking artists….these people really get it! They eat, think, talk, and live life for ART. It was nourishment for my hungry artist’s soul to share their company and space….to gain new perspective on my artistic priorities and passions. 

One day I saw this message posted on the wall:

“How to Feel Miserable as an Artist”  
(Or…What not to do! Underline any that currently apply.)
  1. Constantly compare yourself to other artists.
  2. Talk to your family about what you do and expect them to cheer you on.
  3.  Base the success of your entire career on one project.
  4. Stick with what you know.
  5. Undervalue your expertise.
  6. Let money dictate what you do.
  7. Bow to societal pressures.
  8. Only do work that your family would love.
  9. Do whatever the client/customer/gallery owner asks.
  10. Set unachievable/overwhelming goals to be accomplished by tomorrow.
Wow! Talk about a reality check. It was scary how many of the items on that list were speaking directly to me. 

I’ll never get caught up with my stupid “to do” list so I’ve traded it for a “not to do list.”  Instead of beating myself up and lamenting the things I haven’t accomplished, I remind myself of all the things I don’t want any part of. That “to do” list will always be there….getting bigger all the time. A healthier reality is to keep my artistic vision and priorities in check….thinking creative thoughts, taking creative risks and chances, being true to my own vision of who I am as an artist, designer, and teacher.

What about you? Check all that apply
.
Until next time…..
Creative blessings,
Linda

1 comment:

Alice Walkowski said...

Good post LInda, That is so true. I saw myself in quite a few of them. Thanks.

www.allys-art.blogspot.com