Friday, May 4, 2012

Fur and More Fur Everywhere!



by Janet Alexander
Technical Advisor



I have a black lab that is determined to have her hair in every one of my metal clay pieces. I know she is doing this on purpose. She comes into my studio and waits until she is right next to my bench and then gives a good shake. The hair flies into the air and stays suspended waiting for me to get my wet clay out!

Ah, but I have gotten a little smarter these days and have greatly reduced the hair problem by using a plastic report cover. They are sold at the office supply stores.

I remove the brightly colored plastic binder (saving it for something else) and then apply a light coating of olive oil to both inside pages. Now it’s ready for use. The report cover lasts until I dent it up with my pin cutter.







I like using this for several reasons.



 1.  I place my cards and texture inside the cover’s pages and roll out the moist clay. The cover keeps the hair out. Now I don’t need to worry about my roller being dirty either.




2.  While teaching, I can stop what I’m doing, close the cover, and then come back to my still moist clay.

3.  If needed, I can re-hydrate the clay (because I talked too long) by simply painting some water on the surface of the clay, closing the cover, and allowing it to sit for a minute.

 4.  If mixing some newly opened clay with some used clay, I can easily roll the two very flat mixing them together between the cover.







5. I also re-mix ground clay inside the report cover without any waste.





6. After I cut out a shape, I can bend the page the clay is attached to, flipping it off the cover without hurting the shape.


7. I like to save all of my scraps, shavings, and clay powder. I grind it back into dust using a coffee grinder. But you know that dog hair sometimes still gets into the clay. Sieving the powdered clay through a screen helps rid some of the stray hair. I can’t guarantee it’s foolproof, but it does keep the peace between me and my dog. It works for you cat owners too.


 
Oh, the report binder, I use it to cover the sharp end of my blade.







Until next time, happy claying around!  

3 comments:

Libellula Jewelry said...

I'm definitely going to use your idea! Thanks.

Julie Cannariato, ArtZcat Creations said...

With an indoor German Shephard and a long hair cat (Mainecoon)this will definately come in handy. Thanks Janet, for once again, great tips!
Julie Cannariato
ArtZcat Creations

Janet Alexander said...

Hi Libellula and Julie,
I hope this works as well for you as it has for me!
Thanks
Janet