Friday, March 16, 2012

More Tips and Tricks from Janet Alexander


by Janet Alexander
Technical Advisor

Cutting Wire

They say flush cutters give a flat cut on wire, but to me it's still at an angle. Sometimes it's important to have a flat end on a wire. Here is what I do. I easily file wire ends flat without bending the wire by placing the wire inside flat-nose pliers with just the tip hanging out the other side. This holds the wire while filing.

Alternatively, I can place the wire into the point of the “V” shape in the bench pin with the end pointing upward. This holds the wire so it can be filed flat.



If you’d like to saw the wire instead of cutting it with pliers, make a channel across the top of the bench pin using a wood saw.

Now place the wire into the channel hanging it out the distance needed and saw it off against the side of the bench pin.





Polishing Strategy

When I am working on a polished piece and I don't want to scratch it while I continue to polish, I place it on leather. The leather keeps it from sliding and getting scratched.

1 comment:

Diane said...

great tips, Janet, thanks!