Friday, March 11, 2011

Creative Journeys

Posted by Linda Kline
Director of Education


"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living."
~ Miriam Beard


With the writing of this blog, I'm sitting on my bed surrounded by piles of clothes, an open suitcase, and a rather anxious looking dog. Bear, my Golden Retriever, is giving me the evil eye. All you have to do is pull out the suitcase for your adoring pet to lay a major guilt trip on you.

Packing is always a challenge. I've got it narrowed down to two piles: The, "I can't live without it" pile, and the "I might need it," pile. On the very top of the, "I can't live without it," pile, is my well-traveled and much loved pocket sized sketch book. It's like an old friend. Worn and scuffed, it's pages are filled with "this's and that's," bits and pieces, found objects, drawings, thoughts, images, and memories from all my worldly travels. And here we go again.......on our way to a new and exciting adventure!


By the time you read this I'll be stomping through Istanbul, Turkey -- the most breathtaking city in all of Europe and the birthplace of art, culture, and religion --sharing a once-in-a-lifetime experience with six amazingly talented students and friends.

Through travel, my small little world has opened and expanded by vast proportions. Encounters with different races, cultures, and customs have humbled, awed, and inspired my vision and perception as an artist and teacher. The beauty of natural and man-made wonders have given meaning and purpose to my work. Travel feeds my artist soul.

As I pack, the little black sketch book goes in first. It rides in my backpack where I can quickly grab it. By the end of this trip it will be brimming with new ideas for designs; thoughts for future classes; and countless observations that have enlightened, inspired, and expanded the limits of my creative essence.

Next blog, I'll share photos and adventures from our amazing journey. In the meantime.........

Take out your own little sketch book this week and have a journey all your own. It doesn't have to be a long or exotic trip; maybe a walk in the woods or a visit to an art gallery you've not seen before. Make it a personal journey with an objective to see things in a whole new way. Make notes about your adventure and share those thoughts, ideas, and reflections with other creative friends. Create a piece of jewelry that talks about your experience. Savor the essence of your being.

Safe travels and creative blessings,
Linda

No comments: