Monday, January 10, 2011

Reflections...

Posted by: Linda Kline
Title: Director of Education



“I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework.” ~ Lily Tomlin as "Edith Ann"



I love this quote. Its innocence says so much about what we do as teachers. When we teach we open up a whole new Universe for our students. We ignite a fire in them and send them home with new skills; expanded vision; and a burning, burning desire to bust out and let it rip!



I recently interviewed a new senior teaching candidate and asked her a question that I think caught her off guard. “Why do you teach?” How do you suppose a “seasoned” teacher might respond to that question? The same as she did... simply and directly - “Because I love it”. But what is it that we love? (We certainly can’t be in it for the money. ;-)



I think we are all driven by a common and shared passion: To nurture the creative spirit. Aren’t we all just a bunch of do-gooders who go all gooey inside when we fuel the imaginations and spark the creative juices in another? I get tingly every time one of my students has an, “Ah Ha!” experience….That magical moment when they really begin to grasp the unlimited potential that our amazing medium offers. That’s what it’s all about!



Here’s hoping 2011 is filled with the biggest reward any teacher or student could hope for……Lots of, “AH HA!” moments.



Linda Kline
Senior Instructor


Director of Education and Curriculum Development


No comments: